Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas.

Her chest was so tight with grief it hurt.

Everything hurt.

It hurt to hold back the tears.

It hurt to see how shallow she really was.

Everything hurt.

Two presents.

One bag.

One envelope.

One pair of pajamas, one sweater.

One fifteen dollar iTunes card.

It hurt.

She knew she was lucky. She knew that her most expensive and best gift was already opened, set up on the table, humming with life.

Her laptop.

But somehow, that wasn't enough for her.

Shallow.

Her stomach tightened, it hurt so bad.

Her eyes tingled. That hurt, too.

Christmas didn't feel like christmas.

It felt like a thursday.

Just a normal, dreary, awful thursday.

Except she wouldn't get to see her best friend.

That hurt.

Her aunt walked into the room. Happy.

She got up, plastering a smile on her face.

It hurt to breath.

She hugged her aunt, thanking her.

She walked back to her spot on the couch, and looked outside.

It didn't look like Christmas.

Sunny, with the bits of snow that hadn't melted still there.

“Merry Christmas,” She whispered to herself.
{*}{*}{*}

I hope you all are having a better Christmas then me.

Also, Im entering a poetry contest. Im entering three of my poems: Tainted, Happiness, and Just This once.

xoxo

-{mari}

1 comment:

mia said...

I'm sorry your Christmas wasn't great.. But it was sort of expected, wasn't it? I mean, Christmas isn't like people make it seem, anymore.
It's not all festive and lovey dovey and fun.
I opened my presents this morning and basically just sat on the computer all day.
It just seems like any other normal day. :/

Anyways I hope you feel better soon. ♥